4 oz. unsweetened chocolate squares, chopped
2 cups semisweet chocolate chips, separated into 1 cup each
6 tbsp. butter
1 cup white sugar
1 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
2 tbsp. unsweetened cocoa powder
1/4 tsp. baking powder
2/4 tsp. salt
- In the microwave or double boiler, create a chocolate mixture by melting the chopped unsweetened chocolate squares, 1 cup chocolate chips and butter. Stir occasionally until smooth. Remove from heat and set aside to cool.
- In a large bowl, whip eggs and sugar until this and pale (for about 2 minutes). Stir in vanilla and the chocolate mixture until well mixed.
- In a separate bowl, combine flour, cocoa, baking powder and salt.
- Gradually stir in the dry mixture into the chocolate mixture.
- Fold in remaining 1 cup of chocolate chips.
- Cover dough and chill for at least one hour or overnight.
Bake the Cookies:
- Preheat oven to 350ºF.
- Roll chilled dough into 1 inch balls and place them on an ungreased cookie sheet 2 inches apart from each other.
- Bake for 9 to 11 minutes.
- Allow cookies to cool on baking sheet for 5 minutes before moving them to a wire rack to cool completely.